Are you mom of multiples, or perhaps just have multiple kids? Is your car starting to feel a little bit too cramped? As a mom of 4, I set out on a mission to find the best narrow car seats for small cars (or cars with multiple car seats) to make everyone’s ride more spacious and enjoyable!
I took the time to scour dozens and dozens of stores, websites, and blogs for the best slim and narrow car seats so you don’t have to! These top picks made the list only if they were budget friendly, and most importantly, the safest on the market today. There is a list of narrow infant seats, and another list of narrow convertible car seats to fit your slim car seat needs.
Best of all, purchasing the best car seat for your little one(s) is just a click away! Throughout this article, I have also included some ‘Mom Pro Tips’ to help you out along the way.
Having the perfect car seat is one of those essential baby items – and we’re sure you will find what you’re looking for with our list!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about these links in my disclosure policy.
Mom Pro Tip #1: If you’re a newly expecting mom and are thinking about where to register for the best narrow car seats and more, start your baby registry here and check out Amazon’s baby registry welcome box full of useful goodies!
Best Narrow Infant Car Seats
Fitting an infant seat in the back of a car is tricky enough. Fitting two or three car seats in the back seat of smaller vehicles is enough to make you pull your hair out!
We’ve found the best car seats that will fit into smaller cars without too much trouble. Be sure to check out the weight limits, dimensions, and options on each to find the best choice for your family.
- Dimensions: 31 x 17 x 27 inches
- Weight Range: 4-35 pounds
- Why We Love It: While the price of the Italian-made Primo Viaggio is on the higher end, this narrow car seat is worth the price in comfort and quality. The fabric is moisture wicking, which is helpful when it comes to baby clean up. It features three reclining positions that can be used when used with a stroller, and the extendable hood is UPF 50+. The safety standards of this seat are amazing, including an anti-rebound bar and load leg that work together to reduce rotation in case of an accident. At 12 pounds, this seat is on the heavier side, which may be difficult for some new moms to carry.
- Dimensions: 27.75 x 16.9 x 27 inches
- Weight Range: 4-35 pounds
- Why We Love It: The Clek Liing car seat is easy to install, whether you are using your car’s latch system or a seat belt. The safety features are also unique, as the metal load leg provides anti-rotation and energy absorption features in a collision, reducing crash forces by more than 40%. With its compact design, the Liing allows for more leg room for front seat passengers.
Dimensions: 28 x 17 x 16 inches
Weight Range: 4-35 pounds
Why We Love It: The Chicco Fit2 car seat is an excellent bargain because it converts from an infant to a toddler position for the longevity of your car seat in the rear-facing position. This model allows for extended leg room for toddlers in rear-facing mode without giving up the extra vehicle space. The base is also the most compact of any other car seats we reviewed. When you combine those benefits with the ability to easily use this seat with the Chicco Travel System, we have to recommend this best option car seat as a Nest Top Pick!
- Dimensions: 29.09 x 18.31 x 16.22 inches
- Weight Range: 4-35 pounds
- Why We Love It: This is the infant car seat that I have used with most of my children, and is an excellent choice. Not only does the Graco SnugRide offer the safety and adjustability features of the other car seats, but the price is a steal compared to many other options! The rotating canopy is a great feature for added sun protection.
Mom Pro Tip #2: Check out the car seat section of your car’s manual. This is a great resource when you are trying to figure out dimensions when purchasing a car seat, as well as overall car seat compatibility recommendations. Most newer cars have a latch system for safe and easy installation.
Best Narrow Convertible Car Seats
If you have older kids and are in need of a convertible seat or a high-back booster, these child seats are going to give you a secure fit even if you don’t have much room.
Dimensions: 17.5 x 16.9 x 28 inches
Weight Range: 14-65 pounds
Why We Love It: The Foonf is the mother of all car seats, and a great option for older children! I love how the Clek Foonf convertible car seat is built for the long haul, where this narrow car seat is designed to have extended rear facing capabilities. The company also caters to the messiest of toddlers with their GREENGUARD Gold Certified fabrics that protect against stains and moisture. The safety ratings are outstanding and this is a car seat that is practically built like a tank.
Dimensions: 16 x 17 x 28.25 inches
Weight Range: 5-120 pounds
Why We Love It: Diono car seats are some of the best, and this convertible car seat will give you a better fit in less space. The Diono Radian 3R car seat has all of the features I look for in a good car seat, from safety, to extended life of rear facing capabilities, as well as the high back booster seat. What I loved most about this model though, was how its slim build was specifically made to be able to fit 3 across in most vehicles without compromising the comfort of the children or the driver. Because of this, the Diono Radian 3R is one of the most popular narrow car seats available (and for good reason). We just have to call this one a Nest Top Pick!
Mom Pro Tip #3: When installing multiple car seats, start with the center position first. Also, a lot of the installation will depend on whether your car has bench seats, bucket seats, or captain’s chairs. So, when in doubt, use the manufacturers’ websites to further guide you beyond what may be in your owner’s manual.
Other articles you may like:
MEET THE AUTHOR
As a mom of 4 kids (and the oldest of 4 kids herself), Amanda has over 30 years of parenting experience. A former special education teacher, Amanda has a Master’s degree in Special Education and a second M. Ed. in Educational Leadership.
When she’s not working, Amanda enjoys DIY projects, exercising, photography, and long walks through Target.