Naming your baby can be a difficult task. If you are sharing the task with your partner, it can take a while to find a name that you both agree on.
But even after you decide on your baby’s first name, you still have to find the perfect middle name!
You want to make sure you choose a middle name that sounds good with the first name (especially if you’re the type of parent who will say their whole name when they are in trouble!).
It’s also important to choose a name pair that doesn’t create an embarrassing set of initials!
As someone with the initials of A, S, and S – trust me on this. I just avoid monograms now.
After getting ideas from real parents in moms groups, asking friends, and getting current suggestions from online parenting communities, I’ve compiled this list of beautiful middle names that go with Claire for your baby.
The name combinations are sorted by first listing my top picks, then other middle names for Claire, and are in alphabetical order.
I hope you choose the perfect name for your new little one! Here are the 50 best middle names for Claire.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about these links in my disclosure policy.
Top 10 Middle Names for Claire
Claire is one of those names that seems to never go out of style. It has such a feminine feel, not overly stuffy or fancy. While Claire is often used as a good middle name, I love it as a first name too.
Here are my favorite middle names for Claire:
- Claire Anaïs (French name that means graceful)
- Claire Elena
- Claire Elise (this is my favorite name combination)
- Claire Evangeline
- Claire Faith
- Claire Genevive
- Claire Hyacinth
- Claire Isabella
- Claire Louise
- Claire Madeline
Because Claire has a French origin, I really love pairing other French names with it. I also like longer middle names, like two or three syllable middle names, to balance out the short first name. With Claire being so short and classic, you could really go all out with a fancy middle name.
I also really love middle names for Claire that have a vowel at the beginning, such as A, E, or I. You should know that this can cause a name like Claire Anaïs to sounds like Clara Nais if you say it quickly. Personally, that wouldn’t be enough for me to rule out those middle names – but it’s something to think about if that bothers you!
Other middle names for Claire
- Claire Adele (French name meaning noble)
- Claire Alexandra
- Claire Amélie
- Claire Annaliese
- Claire Bella
- Claire Cecelia (if you like alliteration)
- Claire Corinne (for a cute nickname like CC!)
- Claire Elizabeth (a classic middle name)
- Claire Emily
- Claire Evelynne
- Claire Harlow
- Claire Hazel
- Claire Irene
- Claire Isadora
- Claire Isla
- Claire Ivy
- Claire Josephine
- Claire Julianna
- Claire Juliet or Claire Juliette (the French spelling)
- Claire Léa (very popular French name meaning weary)
- Claire Lilou (French name meaning lily)
- Claire Luna
- Claire Magnolia
- Claire Margaux or Claire Margot
- Claire Marguerite
- Claire Marlow
- Claire Mia
- Claire Michelle
- Claire Noelle
- Claire Olivia
- Claire Ophelia
- Claire Penelope
- Claire Rosalie
- Claire Salomé (French name meaning peace)
- Claire Serena
- Claire Sienna
- Claire Soleil (French for sun)
- Claire Victoria
- Claire Violet
- Claire Zelie
If you’re a newly expecting mom and are thinking about where to register for the best newborn essentials and more, start your baby registry here and check out Amazon’s baby registry welcome box full of useful goodies!
How to Choose the Perfect Middle Name
- Check for weird or offensive initials and monograms
- Say and write the full name (first, middle, and last) repeatedly to see how it flows. Repetitive sounds can be good, or they can become a tongue twister!
- Avoid names that have beginning/ending sounds that get lost, such as with Scott Thomas or Amber Rae
- Balance the weight – if you decide on a very long first name or have a long last name, you may want a short middle name. Short first names often go well with longer middle names.
- Mix it up – traditional middle names are great with unique first names, while classic baby names are fun when paired with unusual middle names
- Choose a name that honors a loved one, such as a favorite older relative or family member who has passed
- Consider a family name, a maiden name, or names that reflect your family’s culture and heritage
- Choose a name that has a special meaning to you – even if it isn’t a common name (if celebs can do it with Apple and Blue and North, you can too)
- If you can’t decide on one perfect baby middle name, consider adding a second name and go with your two favorites
- Lastly, Google the name and make sure there isn’t someone infamous with the same name! (Unless you are ok with your baby sharing the name with a criminal, for instance.)
Famous people named Claire
- Claire Danes – American actress
- Princess Claire of Belgium
- Claire Bloom – English actress
- Claire Calvert – English ballet dancer
- Claire Forlani – English actress
- Claire Holt – Australian actress
- Claire Alexander – Canadian ice hockey player
- Claire – fictional main character in The Breakfast Club played by Molly Ringwald
- Claire Underwood – fictional character in House of Cards played by Robin Wright
Origin and Meaning of the name Claire
The name Claire is of French origin and means “clear” or “bright.” It is also a French noun meaning “light,” as in the phrase “clair de lune.”
Claire is typically used as a name for girls, with Clair being a masculine spelling commonly used for boys. However, these spellings have been used interchangeably for both boys and girls – along with other spelling variations.
It has been popular in the United States since the 1970s, and was most popular in the year 2016 when it was ranked at #40.
According to the Social Security Administration, the baby name Claire was ranked as the 57th most popular girl’s name in 2020. Babycenter reports that Claire is currently the 58th most popular girl’s name in 2022 – an increase of 27 places from 2021.
Clara and Clarice are popular variations of Claire.
Other names you may like:
If you’re considering Claire for your new baby girl but aren’t 100% decided yet, you may also want to consider these names:
Which middle name for Claire is your favorite?
Did you happen to fall in love with one of the suggestions you saw here in this list of middle names? Or have you considered different middle name ideas that are’t on the list?
I’d love to know! Leave a comment below and share with me, and good luck finding the right name for your little girl!
MEET THE AUTHOR
As a mom of 4 kids (and the oldest of 4 kids herself), Amanda has over 30 years of parenting experience. A former special education teacher, Amanda has a Master’s degree in Special Education and a second M. Ed. in Educational Leadership.
When she’s not working, Amanda enjoys DIY projects, exercising, photography, and long walks through Target.