Naming your baby can be a difficult task. If you are sharing the task with your partner, it can take a while to find a name that you both agree on.
But even after you decide on your baby’s first name, you still have to find the perfect middle name!
You want to make sure you choose a middle name that sounds good with the first name (especially if you’re the type of parent who will say their whole name when they are in trouble!).
It’s also important to choose a name pair that doesn’t create an embarrassing set of initials!
As someone with the initials of A, S, and S – trust me on this. I just avoid monograms now.
After getting ideas from real parents in moms groups, asking friends, and getting current suggestions from online parenting communities, I’ve compiled this list of beautiful middle names that go with Olivia for your baby.
The name combinations are sorted by first listing my top picks, then other middle names for Olivia, and are in alphabetical order.
I hope you choose the perfect name for your new little one! Here are the best middle names for Olivia.
Top 10 Middle Names for Olivia
Olivia was one of the names my husband and I considered for our daughter – or maybe I was the only one who liked it. With quite a few friends and family members who have used the name Olivia, it’s one name that I have a variety of name combinations for!
Here are my favorite middle names for Olivia:
- Olivia Belle (it sounds so beautifully Southern to me!)
- Olivia Grace
- Olivia Jade (perfect if you want a Spanish middle name)
- Olivia Joy
- Olivia June (I can just imagine the nickname Livi Ju with this one)
- Olivia Kate
- Olivia Lee
- Olivia Quinn (I love this unisex name with Olivia)
- Olivia Rayne
- Olivia Simone
I think I’m really drawn to short, one-syllable middle names for Olivia – since Olivia is a bit of a mouthful with four syllables.
Two syllable middle names where the emphasis is on the second syllable – like with Renee or Simone – also seem to flow well.
I also really love middle names that have a bit of a nature/natural theme (like Rayne or Brooke) since Olivia reminds me of olives. These just feel good when paired with Olivia.
Other middle names for Olivia
- Olivia Anne
- Olivia Brooke
- Olivia Claire
- Olivia Dawn
- Olivia Devon
- Olivia Eve
- Olivia Faye
- Olivia Gayle
- Olivia Hale
- Olivia Hope
- Olivia Isabel (such a feminine name)
- Olivia Ivy
- Olivia James
- Olivia Josephine
- Olivia Kathryn (I love this traditional middle name, with any spelling)
- Olivia Louise
- Olivia Mae
- Olivia Marie (a common middle name but it works so well)
- Olivia Nadine
- Olivia Oaks (if you’re looking for an alliteration)
- Olivia Paige
- Olivia Rae
- Olivia Renee
- Olivia Rhett (this one has a strong sound and is an excellent choice for Olivia)
- Olivia Rose
- Olivia Sage
- Olivia Shea
- Olivia Tess
- Olivia Violet
- Olivia Wren
How to Choose the Perfect Middle Name
- Check for weird or offensive initials and monograms
- Say and write the full name (first, middle, and last) repeatedly to see how it flows. Repetitive sounds can be good, or they can become a tongue twister!
- Avoid names that have beginning/ending sounds that get lost, such as with Scott Thomas or Amber Rae
- Balance the weight – if you decide on a very long first name or have a long last name, you may want a short middle name. Short first names often go well with longer middle names.
- Mix it up – traditional middle names are great with unique first names, while classic baby names are fun when paired with unusual middle names
- Choose a name that honors a loved one, such as a favorite older relative or family member who has passed
- Consider a family name, a maiden name, or names that reflect your family’s culture and heritage
- Choose a name that has a special meaning to you – even if it isn’t a common name (if celebs can do it with Apple and Blue and North, you can too)
- If you can’t decide on one perfect baby middle name, consider adding a second name and go with your two favorites
- Lastly, Google the name and make sure there isn’t someone infamous with the same name! (Unless you are ok with your baby sharing the name with a criminal, for instance.)
Famous people named Olivia
- Olivia Newton-John – American actress and singer, best known in Grease.
- Olivia Wilde – American actress
- Olivia Munn – American actress
- Olivia Rodrigo – American singer
- Olivia De Havilland – American actress, best known as Melanie in Gone With the Wind
- Olivia Pope – fictional character in the TV series Scandal
- Olivia from the children’s book series
Origin and Meaning of the name Olivia
Olivia is a popular name of Latin origin meaning “olive” or “olive tree”. Olivia is also the female version of the boy’s name Oliver. The olive branch is also known as a symbol of peace, which can make the name Olivia feel calming and peaceful.
According to the Social Security Administration, Olivia was ranked as the 1st most popular girl’s name in 2019 and 2020 in the United States. Babycenter reports that Olivia is currently the 1st most popular girl’s name in 2022 – holding steady for the 4th year in a row.
“Liv” and “Livi” (as well as spelling variations) are popular and cute nicknames for Olivia.
Other names you may like:
If you’re considering Olivia for your new baby girl but aren’t 100% decided yet, you may also want to consider these names:
Which middle name for Olivia is your favorite?
Did you happen to fall in love with one of the suggestions you saw here in this list of names? Or have you considered different middle name ideas that are’t on the list?
I’d love to know! Leave a comment below and share with me!