8 Best Mini Fridges with a Freezer for a Dorm Room
Ahhh the college years. Take me back! One day, whether you’re ready for it or not, you’re going to wake up and BAM! You’ll be taking your kid on college visits and the reality will be sinking in that, soon enough, your baby will be flying the coop!
You might not feel ready emotionally, but all we can do is help them be prepared. There are some necessities for college students, including this common appliance: A mini refrigerator.
A mini fridge is a great way to store a few snacks, whether that be fruits and veggies or leftovers, and drinks without taking up much space since we all know that dorm rooms are tight spaces. I took the time to research some of the best mini fridge options with a freezer for a college dorm room, listed below. Let’s take a closer look!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about these links in my disclosure policy.
How to Find the Best Mini Fridge with Freezer for Your Kid’s Dorm Room
Pro Mom Tip: There are a few things to consider when looking at mini fridges.
First and foremost, check that the dorm room allows mini fridges. Most do, but I’d hate for you to buy one then realize that you must return it.
Otherwise, make sure you check out the size, capacity, and design – will it fit well within the dorm room, how much food or drinks do you want to store, and does it have any important features you’re looking for (removable shelves, reversible door, can holders, etc.)?
8 Best Mini Fridges
1. RCA 2 Door Fridge and Freezer RFR835, Black
- Dimensions: 22 x 20 x 34 inches
- Total Capacity: 3.2 cubic feet
- Freezer Capacity: Not listed
- Weight: 57 lbs
- Why We Love It: This is my top pick based on reviews, cost, capacity, and features. I love that the RCA has a separate freezer and refrigerator with adjustable thermostats and compressor cooling to ensure that your fridge and freezer works at peak performance. It has a 5-star rating through Energy Star, meaning it doesn’t use up a lot of energy. The RCA has a reversible door and adjustable leveling legs to ensure that the mini fridge sits level even on uneven flooring. The fridge has two full-width glass shelves and a crisper drawer, plus two shelves on the door, a built-in can dispenser for up to 6 cans, and a door basket that holds 2 liter bottles. The freezer section has a full width-freezer door shelf and has space for ice trays and other food items, making this the perfect dorm fridge. It is a little on the larger size, so check that you have enough space first!
2. Midea Compact Refrigerator WHS-65LSS1, Stainless Steel
- Dimensions: 17.7 x 18.6 x 19.4 inches
- Total Capacity: 1.6 cubic feet
- Freezer Capacity: Not listed
- Weight: 35.3 lbs
- Why We Love It: This little fridge with a stainless steel finish is available in two options- either 1.6 or 2.5 cubic feet of interior space. This Midea fridge is equipped with an advanced compressor with an Energy Star rating, which means that this fridge runs quietly with high energy efficiency, and comes with adjustable legs, a reversible door, and an adjustable thermostat in degrees Fahrenheit. I love that the fridge has a removable shelf for easy cleaning, space on the door for beverages and condiments, and a small separate freezer compartment. The small size of this mini fridge means that it will take up minimal space making it an optimal dorm fridge and has a full 1-year warranty. Plus, this fridge might be your best choice if you need to take it for a road trip on the way to campus!
3. Midea Compact Refrigerator WHD-113FB1, Black
- Dimensions: 18.5 x 19.37 x 32.95 inches
- Fridge Capacity: 2.18 cubic feet
- Freezer Capacity: .92 cubic feet
- Weight: 52.2 lbs
- Why We Love It: This small fridge has separate doors for the fridge and freezer with an adjustable temperature control for each compartment. The fridge has two glass, adjustable shelves, a separate, transparent fruit/vegetable drawer, a 2L bottle rack and an interior light. There is a reversible door so you can decide if you want it to open from the left or right based on your college dorm room, and the adjustable legs ensure that your fridge will always be stable. It has a high Energy Star rating and makes very little noise, plus it comes with a full 1-year warranty.
4. RCA Mini Refrigerator RFR321, Black
- Dimensions: 18.5 x 17.68 x 32.8 inches
- Total Capacity: 3.2 cubic feet
- Freezer Capacity: .2 cubic feet
- Weight: 45 lbs
- Why We Love it: This RCA is a great mini fridge if you’re looking for plenty of space for your food and drinks. Coming in at a large capacity of 3.2 cubic feet of space, and the interior of the fridge has adjustable shelving that you can rearrange to maximize your storage capacity (especially if you have a lot of taller items). There is additional storage on the door for drinks, condiments, etc. The freezer, which is only .2 cubic feet runs a little on the small side, so this may only be a good option if you don’t need a lot of freezer space. Other features include reversible door hinges, adjustable leveling feet, and an adjustable thermostat. You wouldn’t necessarily think reversible door hinges are important, until you are trying to find the right place when Tetris-fitting in items into a door room space! Plus, the material is magnetic so you can decorate it with your favorite pictures of friends and family, making this a great addition to your dorm room.
Pro Mom Tip: Small appliances in your kid’s dorm room (like a good mini fridge and a microwave) are a great alternative to the dining hall. Freshman 15 is a term for a reason! Having a small refrigerator gives them the option to control how much they’re eating (rather than having all you can eat every day) and to have some healthier choices on hand.
5. Black + Decker Compact Refrigerator BCRK17V, Silver
- Dimensions: 18.5 x 17.52 x 19.72 inches
- Total Capacity: 1.7 cubic feet
- Freezer Size: 8 inches wide x 2 inches tall; capacity not listed
- Weight: 33.1 lbs
- Why We Love It: This Black & Decker compact fridge is light and on the smaller side, making it an excellent choice and perfect size for small spaces. This fridge has a removable glass shelf and door storage that fits two cans or small containers (great for condiments or even skincare products that must stay refrigerated) on the top shelf and a liter sized bottle or larger containers on the bottom shelf. It has a small freezer compartment that comes with an ice cube tray, but I wouldn’t plan on storing more than a few ice cubes. Like other models, this Black & Decker fridge has a reversible door, adjustable leveling legs, adjustable temperature settings, and comes with a warranty (1 year warranty for parts/labor; 2 year warranty for compressor parts).
6. GE Mini Fridge with Freezer GDE03GGKBB, Black
- Dimensions: 20.1 x 18.8 x 33.4 inches
- Fridge Capacity: 2.12 cubic feet
- Freezer Capacity: .93 cubic feet
- Weight: 56 lbs
- Why We Love It: This GE mini fridge is rated 5 stars from Energy Star, meaning that it’s quiet and uses less energy. It’s a great choice for use as a beverage fridge, (like your cold brew coffee when you’re rolling out of bed five minutes before class starts!) due to the built-in can rack and storage for tall bottles, and the two glass shelves with a crisper drawer allows for ample food storage. The freezer space has a guaranteed true freeze to keep your food within the optimal temperature range for freshness and prevention of freezer burn.
7. Galanz Retro Compact Refrigerator GLR33MBER10, Blue
- Dimensions: 17.6 x 35.43 x 21.02 inches
- Fridge Capacity: 2.84 cubic feet
- Freezer Capacity: .39 cubic feet
- Weight: 46.3 lbs
- Why We Love It: The Galanz is one of the best picks if you’re looking for a unique, retro design. It reminds me of our full size refrigerator we had growing up! The adjustable, removable shelves and crisper drawer ensure you will have plenty of storage space for your fresh food, but there is still freezer space for a pint of ice cream and a couple other frozen items. The door can hold up to 7 cans and a 2-liter bottle and has shelves for small containers or condiments. It has a high-efficiency, low-energy consumption compressor, adjustable leveling legs, and a manual control dial to set the temperature. And did I mention the retro design? So cute!
8. Costway Compact 2-Door Mini Freezer Cooler Fridge, Black
- Dimensions: 19.5 x 19 x 34 inches
- Full Capacity: 2.25 cubic feet
- Freezer Capacity: .95 cubic feet
- Weight: 52 lbs
- Why We Love It: The Costway mini fridge is your best option if you want separate doors for the fridge and freezer but need something narrow to fit in a small space. There is a glass shelf in the refrigerator that can be removed or adjusted to maximize the cubic feet of storage and the door holds up to six cans and has two small shelves for additional space. The transparent crisper drawer will hold your fresh produce. I also love that the fridge has an interior light, so you’ll always be able to see what food you have. The freezer has a shelf on the door and comes with an ice tray. Other features include an adjustable thermostat, reversible door, and a magnetic seal that prevents bacteria.
Mom Pro Tip: When your kid no longer has a need for their mini fridge in college, don’t underestimate the benefit of the mini fridge in your home for additional storage. Did someone say beverage cooler? I have a couple of white wine bottles that could use some chilling because hey, I still have three kids at home!
MEET THE AUTHOR
As a mom of 4 kids (and the oldest of 4 kids herself), Amanda has over 30 years of parenting experience. A former special education teacher, Amanda has a Master’s degree in Special Education and a second M. Ed. in Educational Leadership.
When she’s not working, Amanda enjoys DIY projects, exercising, photography, and long walks through Target.
You can find Amanda on all social media at @parentingnestblog and @amandaseghetti